This memorial was dedicated in 1985, at the site of the execution of six anti-treaty soldiers. They were stood at this wall, then part of the old Tuam Workhouse, an executed by a Free State Forces firing squad on the 11th of April 1923. These men were killed in part in reprisal for the deadly attack on the Headford Barracks on the 9th of April, where two members of the Free State Forces lost their lives and five were wounded. These men, however, were already in captivity, having been captured at Cluid, County Galway on the 23rd of February the same year.
The men who died here were An Captaen Proinsias O Cuinneain (Captain Frank Cunanne) of Headford, An Leiftenant Sean Maguidhir (Lt. Sean Maguire) of Cross Cong, An t-Oglach Sean O Tnuthail (Volunteer Sean Newell) of Headford, An t-Oglach Seamus O Maille (Volunteer Seamus O Maille) of Oughterard, An t-Oglach Micheal O Monachain (Volunteer Michael Monaghan) of Headgford, and An t-Oglach Mairtin O Maolain (Volunteer Martin Moylan) of Annaghdown.
This wall is the only remaining piece of the old workhouse building.
Add a comment about this page