From the Irish Archives Resource Page: “Burke’s Landed Gentry of Ireland indicates that Michael Burke of Ballintober, county Roscommon purchased the Ballydugan (Ballydoogan) property from the Lynch family around 1726. The OS Name Books record Thomas Burke of Ballydugan as a proprietor in the parish of Ardrahan in the 1830s. William Burke purchased the former Kelly estate at Lisduff, parish of Tynagh, barony of Longford, from the 2nd Marques of Sligo in the late 1820s. The Ballydugan estate remained in the Burke family until divided in the early 20th century though some of the demesne lands are still owned by the family.
Rev. Michael Burke was the owner of Ballydugan at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, when it was valued at £24.
In 1906 Michael H. Burke owned the mansion house at Ballydugan then valued at almost £27. In 1922 it was ‘maliciously destroyed during the recent troubles in Ireland and an award amounting to £10,425.1.3 was made by way of compensation for its destruction and costs payable as to £1,112.1.3 by the Dominion Office, London, and as to the residue by the Minister of Finance of the Irish Free State subject to the monies payable by the said Minister to a condition of rebuilding’ (GP6/100, p2). Ballydugan House was rebuilt, with modifications, in 1929 (see GP6/98). The family and estate archives were destroyed in the fire of 1922.
The Burkes were connected though marriage to many of the district’s landed family, and also to the Guinness family of Dublin. “
Find more here: